What Is a Gallery?
A gallery is a slideshow of images that can optionally have titles or captions located just below the image.
Where Can You Embed Galleries?
Galleries can be embedded in the body field for the following content types:
- Basic Pages
- Core Facilities
Galleries can also be used as a carousel in the following locations:
- Home page
- Featured Layout pages
How to Add a Gallery to Content
There are two parts to implementing a gallery. First, you need to create the gallery. Second, you need to embed the gallery in the content where you would like it displayed. If you make any changes to the gallery, it will automatically update the content wherever it is displayed.
Creating a Gallery
To create a gallery follow these steps:
- Go to the Drupal Admin bar and click on Content, then + Add Content.
- You'll see a list of content types. Click on Gallery.
- You'll see the Create Gallery user interface. Locate the Title field and enter a title for your gallery. Use a title that is relevant to the context of your gallery, since you will search for the gallery in later steps.
- To add images, click the Add Image button.
- You'll then see 3 options for each image you add:
- Title (Optional): The name of your image that will show on the first line under the image
- Link (Optional): The URL that the title will be linked to if the gallery is being used as a Carousel
- Image (Required): The file selector for your image
- Caption (Optional) The caption of the image that will show on the second line, below the title, unless there is no title
Once you have added the desired images and fill out the required fields, hit Save at the bottom left corner. Once completed, you should see a preview of the gallery you just created with a notification that says "Gallery [YOUR GALLERY TITLE] has been created."
Embedding a Gallery
To add a gallery to content follow these steps:
- Open the content item where you would like to embed your gallery. Click the Edit tab to open the page editor.
- Once in the content editor, click on the Body tab.
- Using the toolbar, click on the Content icon (circle with plus symbol), just to the right of the Media icon.
- You'll then see an Insert Content pop-up. Find the Content field and start typing the name of your gallery.
- As you start typing a drop-down should appear with gallery choices. Click on the name of the gallery you just created and click Next.
- Then, the pop-up window will list the gallery you selected for verification. If correct, click the Embed button.
- Once embed is clicked, the pop-up will disappear, and a gray placeholder with a mountain and sun icon should appear in the body field where the gallery will be displayed:
- At the bottom of the page editor, add your revision notes, and hit the Save button.
- Once completed, you should see your page with the newly added gallery.
Using a Gallery As a Carousel
Galleries do have the ability to be displayed as a carousel on pages like a homepage. However, only Web Services team members can add carousels. To use a gallery as a carousel, please follow these steps:
- First, create the gallery using the instructions above under "Creating a Gallery"
- Then, submit a support request indicating the gallery title you created, and where you want it added as a carousel